Header

Image Map

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

November Gratitude: The best thing my dad ever gave me




Sherrod Leonard Maxwell III, my dad, amazes me. He has gifts that are used to help people all over the world. He works for a DOE National Lab and develops methods that have helped prepare the CDC, EPA, and FDA for life-altering things like bombings, natural disasters, and nuclear emergencies.

Before he was saving lives, though, he very intentional about communicating this message to his little girl, who had his own brown eyes, good intentions, and a little too much self-doubt for her own good:


You can do anything you want to do. You're smart and talented, and if you put your mind to it, you're going to do great things.

I remember hearing those exact words over and over and over again. His unwavering support was obvious, from kindergarten to college to graduate school to the job search.

The result of Dad's prediction is yet to be determined, but I know one thing: when I consider a new goal or my biggest aspirations, his voice is always there, in the back of my mind, with his message ringing clearly.

I'll always be grateful.




2 comments:

  1. I am sure he feels as blessed to have you as his daughter as you do him. He is truly a wise dad and I completely agree with what he said. Isn't it amazing how these things said by our parents stick with us throughout our lives?... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Eranga. I love hearing from you, sweet friend.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover