Header

Image Map

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Gift from John: Smitten Kitchen


This year for Christmas, John gave me the sweetest, most personal collection of gifts I've ever received. One of them was the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, with a sweet note inside about our first married Christmas. To say I'm hooked would be an understatement. It's the first cookbook I've ever been unable to put down, and the only one I've actually wanted to read front to back. Deb's description of her endless attempts to formulate perfect recipes are fascinating. We made the Apple Cider Caramels, above, to give as holiday gifts, and I made her Baked Potato Soup, below, last night - the perfect January cure. (PS, you don't have to bake the potatoes!) 

For healthy, delicious breakfasts this week that aren't full of the packaged food problems, I made her Almond Date Breakfast Bars. Tonight, we'll have the Cauliflower Feta Fritters with Pomegranate from her blog, pictured below. We all know there are a lot of beautiful food blogs out there, but I'm particularly drawn to Deb's warm voice, persistence, and excellent choices. She leaves me inspired to get back in the kitchen.

Have you tried Smitten Kitchen? I'd love to hear. :)




images via

8 comments:

  1. what a thoughtful gift! I am obsessed with the SK site, and have been dying for that book as well! I'm making my way through the Dinner a Love Story book right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you'll love it. How is that one?! I'm so curious about that, it's next on my list!

      Delete
    2. if you love the site, you'll love the book - lots of good, easy-to-make weeknight dinner ideas! and i'm still amazed at how she documented every single meal for years!

      Delete
  2. I adore smitten kitchen! I made two of her pies for thanksgiving. I used the butter pie crust recipe the pumpkin pie recipe (my local publix ran out of canned pumpkin pie and I used sweet potato instead, people went crazy for it) and the nutmeg maple cream pie. It was all so easy to follow and she made me feel confident that it would just work out. and it did.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover