Header

Image Map

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Favorite Meal of the Week

Whole wheat potato gnocchi, fresh oregano, butter, garlic, parmesan, sweet potato, olive oil, arugula, red wine vinegar, s & p.

These were the ingredients featured in what turned out to be our favorite meal this week. And no shopping required! Everything was already in the cabinet, with the exception of the oregano. After deciding it would be Gnocchi Night, I perused a few ideas online, got basic guidance from Giada and Real Simple, and went to work.

I baked (usually I boil - yay for it being cool enough to use the oven) the sweet potato for an hour and set it aside. I then made a real butter sauce (rare for me but a sure way to John's heart) by letting a stick brown slightly and foam before adding a bunch of oregano and a handful of shaved parmesan and setting it aside. Next I put a bit of olive oil in a pan and added my chopped garlic. When it turned slightly golden, I added several oregano stems and let them sauté until they were crisp. When the gnocchi were boiling, I mashed the flesh of the sweet potato and added the garlic and olive oil sauce, mashing it all together with the crispy oregano and salt and pepper. Next, the gnocchi was tossed with its butter sauce and the arugula was given a simple oil and vinegar dressing and some s&p. (My favorite way to have arugula - preferably with Balsamic - because I love the flavor so much and enjoy letting it stand alone.) Voila!

This meal was somewhat heavy, but it worked really well during a busy day's brief dinner window. John was particularly happy, which in turn made me particularly happy. I'll definitely be making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover